Jean-Claude Farhi was born in Paris in 1940. At the age of 17 he moved to Nice where he studied drawing at the Beaux-Arts. In 1959, he presented his first solo exhibition of sculpture and met César and Arman. In 1966, his success began, his "Motorcolors" were noticed by the art critic Pierre Restany. In 1968, he became César's assistant. He often went to Rome where the Polivar factory made his famous coloured polymethyl methacrylate (Plexiglas) "columns". In 1972, he discovered New York and met Arman, who advised him to "think big", advice that Farhi followed as he began to produce large-scale pieces (columns, steles and discs). From 1991 onwards, he turned to raw steel, which he used to create large outdoor sculptures. Farhi died in 2012.