Edgar Brandt was born in Paris in 1880. In 1902, he opened a wrought-iron studio and assembled a collaborative team of designers. His early creations were in the art nouveau style; then at his booth at the 1925 International Exposition of Modern Industrial and Decorative Arts, he introduced pieces with stylized ornamentation. He then became highly successful. He opened a gallery where he showed his wrought-iron pieces, including monumental railings, banisters, floor lamps and chandeliers, fireplace screens, tables, consoles, and other objects. He also worked in bronze, aluminum, and steel, sometimes collaborating with artists such as Jean Dunand and Gilbert Poillerat. He passed away in Geneva in 1960.