André Arbus was born in Toulouse in 1903. After studying at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris, he showed his first pieces of furniture at the 1925 Exposition des Arts Décoratifs et Industriels Modernes. He opened his first gallery in Paris in 1930, but it was his pavillion at the 1937 Exposition Internationale des Arts et Techniques, titled “A French family’s house”, that proved to be the right setting for his creations, with their return to the traditional, and made him famous. Beginning in 1945, Le Mobilier National ordered furniture from him for the French Embassy in The Hague, the Chateau of Rambouillet, and the Elysée Palace. Arbus also made gifts given by France to foreign sovereigns. During the 1950s, he decorated several ocean liners and devoted his time to sculpture until his passing in 1969.