Jacques Adnet is born on April 20, 1900, in Châtillon-Coligny, At the age of 16, he enrolled at l’Ecole des Arts Décoratifs and a few years later at “la Maîtrise” the applied arts workshops of the Galeries Lafayette.
In 1928 he becomes the director of the 2Compagnie des Arts Français”; there he gathers a remarkable team of painters, including Lurçat, Chagall, Dufy or Léger. Decorators like Charlotte Perriand, Francis Jourdain or René Gabriel, but also glassmakers, brass and jewellers, ceramists, ironworkers, or sculptors, like Goupy, Daurat, Bouquet, Lenoble, Poillerat, Yencesse or the Giacometti brothers - whose decorative art works he edits after Jean-Michel Frank’s death.
Jacques Adnet is one of the first to use glass and metal in the manufacture of objects, lighting, furniture or in architecture, since he created, in collaboration with the architect René Coulon, the pavilion of Saint-Gobain for the Exhibition of Arts and Techniques of 1937.
His favourite materials are chrome-plated or nickel-plated metal, mirror-bottom glass, slabs of Saint-Gobain glass, Baccarat crystal, parchment, black lacquered wood and opaline.
After his modernist creations from the 1930s and his sumptuous furniture in exotic wood or lacquered wood from the 1940s, Jacques Adnet created, in the 1950s, furniture, lights or objects in metal sheathed in leather or skai.
For several decades he produces sets of furniture for individuals, for palaces on the Côte d'Azur as well as for the liner Ferdinand de Lesseps; he also decorated the study and private apartments of Vincent Auriol at the Château de Rambouillet and at the Elysée. Its most famous clients are billionaire Frank Jay Gould, actress Alice Cocéa, director Marcel Carné and writer Georges Simenon. Rather than people from fashion or the entertainment world, he often had intellectuals as clients who wanted to remain discreet, which suited him perfectly.
In 1959 he closes the “Compagnie des Arts Français” and becomes director of the “École Nationale Supérieure des Arts Décoratifs”, a position he held until 1970. He dies in Paris in 1984.